Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Yet Another AI Rant

It's Grand Ole Opry Week.

Are you kidding me?

Look, I know you're going to ask, "If you hate the show so much, why do you watch it?" Well, the fact of the matter is that once in a great while something worthwhile happens on this weekly karaoke contest that I actually enjoy. Secondly, I'm an avid reader of Vote for the Worst, and my enjoyment of that website would not be as great if I were not properly primed for the commentary.

Here's the deal. I love country music. Some people don't, and I get that. In fact, I respect that. I'm not going to cram anything down anybody's throat. If you don't like country, I'm not offended. It's cool. People enjoy what they enjoy and there's no sense in trying to change that.

I, however, was raised on country music. It's in my blood and I'm proud to carry the flag of what I consider to be a great American art form. As a result, I'm less than enthusiastic about the prospect of 11 contestants and 4 judges defecating on the music I love.

In my opinion, they should do away with country week altogether. I've seen it in seasons past, and it's rarely pretty. Aside from one and a half notable exceptions (Kelly Clarkson being the half, as she leans country on occasion), AI is looking for a commercial pop star. Why even bother making country music look bad by having these people hack through a genre they likely won't ever touch professionally? Having a range is one thing, but if you're never going to sing a country song in your professional career what does is matter if you can or not? As far as I'm concerned, it's pointless and damaging to the genre.

Benefield out.

Addendum: I watched the show tonight and felt that some of the contestants did a fantastic job. They really dug into the tunes, told the stories, and felt the emotion upon which country music is built. I'm incredibly relieved that this wasn't as gimmicky as I feared it would be when I wrote this blog earlier today. All I asked for was respect and, for the most part, I saw that.

The Wrath of J has been averted......for now.

No comments: